5 Tips for a Healthy Valentine’s DayFarm Picked For You
February is a month filled with love, candy, and kisses but better known as the American Heart awareness month. This February we encourage you to take our top 5 health tips to heart!
While boxes of chocolate and treats, romantic (high-calorie) dinners may be your ideal way to celebrate Valentine’s Day, your heart may be pining for something else. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it is a great time to look at the state of your heart health.
“Cardiovascular Disease is the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women,” said Dr. Sheila Sahni, an interventional cardiology fellow at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. Making heart-healthy lifestyle choices and taking control of your cardiovascular risk factors can help prevent or slow the progression of heart disease.
Every day decisions are important for cardiovascular health. From the amount of fat or sugar, you consume the amount of exercise or lack of activities will impact your heart health. This Valentine’s Day treat yourself to a healthy meal and jumpstart a new lifestyle change.
Healthy Tips for a Valentines Day to Support Cardiovascular Health:
- Reduce Stress – Be mindful of stress in your life. Try a brisk walk, meditation or yoga. Women have a higher risk of heart-related issues from stress.
- Reduce Salt Intake – Can’t imagine certain foods without salt? Over time you can train your taste buds to become accustomed to lower salt and eventually eliminate it completely.
- Stay Active – The key to heart health is to keep moving and avoid being sedentary.
- Limit your consumption of red meat, sugar and unhealthy fats. There are plenty of foods you can eat instead to enjoy a heart-healthy diet! Add fruits and vegetables to your diet to increase your fiber consumption.
- Know your levels – Blood pressure, sugar levels and cholesterol levels. Having high levels are risk factors of heart disease. If you have not had your levels checked in the past year or two, get them checked now to find out if you’re at risk for heart disease.
Farm Picked For You is committed and dedicated to nurturing your heart this Valentine’s Day! We offer a variety of predefined boxes filled with 100% organic fruits and vegetables for direct home delivery. Purchase a box this holiday, filled with love and rich nutrients to help you eat well, stay active, and be heart healthy!