Baked Eggs in Avocado with Summer Tomato-Basil SaladAlysson Toscana
Avocado Baked Eggs
Impress your guests with these clever avocado baked eggs, topped with a delicious tomato salad, at your next brunch.
1 avocado, halved and pitted
2 eggs medium
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch garlic powder
1. Scoop out some of the flesh (about 1 tablespoon) so you have a hole big enough for your egg. Repeat with remaining avocados. Sprinkle them with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. Put your avocados in a small baking dish. You want them to be sort of snug, so they don’t tip over. It helps to nestle the avocados in pie weights, dried beans, or coarse salt to keep them standing up straight.
3. Crack one egg at a time into a small ramekin or glass. Slide the eggs carefully into the holes of each avocado (a yummy tip: Put a few drops of hot sauce or whatever condiment you like in the hole before you add the egg).
4. Season with sea salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder.
5. Bake in a preheated 450°F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until your egg whites are set and the yolks are still a little runny. Serve with a helping of tomato salad on top.
¼ cup scallions (green part only) or chives, chopped
¼ or less – cup red or green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 small garlic clove..diced very small
1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Dice tomatoes and place in a bowl. Add the scallions, pepper, basil and garlic along with the the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly, and let marinate while you prepare the eggs. Serve along side, or on top of your Baked Eggs and Avocado.