Vegetarian Nut LoafAlysson Toscana
Serves: 8 to 10
WHAT YOU NEED
- 9-inch loaf pan
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cups walnuts
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 3 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 12 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
WHAT TO DO
- Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions (combine 1 cup short grain brown rice with 2 cups water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 50 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place 1½ cup walnuts and ½ cup cashews on a baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, finely chop 1 onion and mince 3 cloves garlic. Clean and finely chop the mushrooms. Finely chop the 2 tablespoons fresh parsley. When the nuts have cooled, finely chop them with a knife or in a food processor.
- In a large skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon marjoram, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1 teaspoon sage. Cook about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat together 4 eggs.
- In the large bowl, combine the onion and mushroom mixture with the toasted walnuts and cashews, parsley, 1½ cups cooked rice, 1 cup cottage cheese, 12 ounces Swiss cheese, beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Butter a 9-inch loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and butter it again. Pour the mixture from the bowl into the pan.
- Bake 1 hour until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes, then invert loaf and remove from pan. Serve warm.